Thursday, February 6, 2014

February's Experiment: No Mirrors, No Problem!

As part of My Big, Weird Year, I'm testing out a new, daily habit every month. It's part self-improvement, part social-experiment, part girl-you're-crazy.

So, this month, I'm ramping things up a notch. My challenge for February is inspired by Kjerstin Gruys' incredible year of ditching the mirror.

I'm going to try and copy Gruys' routine as closely as I can, which means also avoiding reflective surfaces and not looking at photos of myself, either.

As I'm writing this, I've been at it for a few days and I have to be honest and tell you that I'm fucking up with alarming regularity. But that's another post.

I don't spend a ton of time looking at myself, but even so, this is proving to be interesting. For a month, I'm not going to be able to look in a mirror and evaluate whether my stomach is flat enough, as if anybody besides me ever gave half a fuck about that, anyway.

I'm not going to be able to stare at my reflection in a glass door and wonder whether or not my shape has changed for the worse after last night's salty dinner.

Nor will I occasionally feel like I've dodged a bullet when, after a particularly stressful week, I haven't gained 1.2 pounds from stress-eating half a plate of nachos.

In a way, this will simplify my life, but not at first. Because this is going to be tough. I'm so used to looking up every time I enter the bathroom, not to make sure I'm still there, but to grade myself. I'm wondering how much time I really do spend, every day, rating myself against a scale that may or may not be imaginary and probably isn't relevant.

So... Here we go.

2 comments:

  1. "I'm so used to looking up every time I enter the bathroom, not to make sure I'm still there, but to grade myself." YES. That would be so difficult. More power to you! I'm excited to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrapping paper over the bathroom mirrors at home helps a lot... I'm feeling pretty good, overall. Yesterday, I got a taste of the freedom that is Not Giving a Fuck, but then later, I waved my fingers at myself in the mirror just to make sure I still existed. So... yeah.

    ReplyDelete