Monday, March 17, 2014

Birthday Card Thing

I'm cheap, so instead of buying a birthday present for my friend, Colin, I just did a watercolor for him, instead.



My goal was to channel the weirdest, saddest children's birthday party in the world.

At the moment, I'm back on a watercolor kick. But I'm being more flexible about the process. This was roughed in and inked in Manga Studio, then I printed that out at size and watercolored it on my lightbox. It's a weird process, I admit, but interesting. I got the idea for lightboxing watercolors from Aaron Renier.

I did some linework on the painting with a watercolor pencil, thinking maybe I could skip the digital lines altogether. I'm not sure why I was so keen on tossing out my digital lines. Maybe because I thought it would make the piece "purer" or something? I'm weird.


Meehhhhhhhh...


Going in this direction wouldn't have been a TERRIBLE move, but yeah, I don't know. It just wasn't snazzy enough.

I ended up using my digital inks, but turning the opacity way down and playing with blending modes a little bit. Next time, I might refine things a bit more on the paper and see how it turns out. Like, maybe with a really light inkwash for the lines, along with the colored pencil?

Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment