Monday, January 27, 2014

Anatomy of a Starbucks Drink

by Rose David


Writing at a Starbucks can be an awkward experience, because the employees really seem to hate it there.
I know what this is like. Putting an your all-black gear and puckering on a smile, knowing that you're toiling for a company that would happily replace you with a trained monkey if it would save a few thousand dollars, all while serving customers that you feel don't really respect you.

I try to be extra nice to my baristas--not because I myself am extra nice, but because I'm desperate for someone to think I'm the Cool Customer, the one-in-a-million that really GETS them, man. And technically I would stand a better chance at this, considering I was one of them all through college.

But then, it's like those people who immediately think they're going to charm children just because they have the terribly un-unique credential of having once been a child.

In both cases, it's far enough in the past that you won't be immediately adored the way you think you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment